Quality & Services Charter

  • Conference calls and/or meetings as an first introduction
  • An offer of services within 48 hours (after receiving all necessary information to clearly understand the project).
  • The offer of services is provided with an organisation chart of the investment structure together with clear explanations.
  • Our fees are only charged once our offer of services is signed.
  • Only 60% of the fees are charged at signature. Remaining 40% will be charged once your investment vehicle is set up & operational.
  • “One investment structure for one customer”. All project is strictly confidential and FAST Ltd will never use an existing structure for another customer.
  • Direct contacts with professionals (by email & phone) / no hotline / Immediate answer.
  • Introduction to the most appropriate business partner (custodian banks, legal advisor, tax advisor, etc.) at senior level.

 Philosophy

  • Be everywhere, do everything, and never fail to astonish the customer.
  • Every company’s greatest assets are its customers, because without customers there is no company. Michael Leboeuf
  • The golden rule for every business man is this: put yourself in your customer’s place.¬†Orison Swett Marden